A Reason For Hope with Combatants for Peace
April 28 to May 8, 2019
Deadline to register March 10, 2019
This tour will introduce you to Combatants for Peace’s work on the ground. Join our activists in their programs, learn about the movement and the conflict and see why there truly is ‘A Reason for Hope’ in the Holy Land. Along with learning about Combatants for Peace activities and attending their joint Memorial Ceremony, you will also have the opportunity to experience a beautiful, guided tour of both Israel and Palestine with two incredible guides, one Palestinian and one Israeli, each sharing the narrative and history of their own people.
For the last 14 years, the annual Israeli-Palestinian Memorial Ceremony, held by Combatants for Peace, has united thousands worldwide to mourn, hope, and raise our voices for peace. What began as a small ceremony of 50 people in 2005 is now one of the largest Memorial Day events held in all of Israel. A massive expression of hope and change, the Ceremony stands as a unique symbol of humanity and persistence.
Combatants for Peace has a powerful message non-violence and mutual dignity, and some would prefer that this message be suppressed. It’s no secret that the right-wing Israeli government and it’s allied political groups are trying to silence organizations like ours, organizations that are taking a stand against the occupation – and a stand against hate.
We began to feel the pressure in 2017 when, just two days before the event, permits were revoked for hundreds of grieving Palestinians planning to attend the ceremony we were forced to hold two separate Ceremonies, one in Tel Aviv and one in Beit Jala. In 2018 Permits were again revoked – but we went to the Supreme Court of Israel to fight the ruling and we won! Permits were granted and we held the Ceremony together.
Last year, there was no venue willing to host the Ceremony in Tel Aviv. One excuse after another was offered, from security concerns, to political concerns, to simply, “No!” The only option left was to hold the event outside, in Tel Aviv’s Yarkon Park. In 2017, the hall in Tel Aviv held 4,000 people, and the rest had to be turned away at the door. In 2018, the field in Yarkon Park held 8,000 people! Hopefully in 2019 we will have even more.
In today’s times it is easy to give into despair, but we don’t have the privilege of giving up hope. We will not be silenced. Love, solidarity and courage will always overcome hatred and fear.
Optional Extension Tour to Jordan (May 8 – May 11, 2019)
There is an optional extension tour to Jordan from May 8 – May 11. Please see the link to the itinerary at the bottom of this page for details and pricing information. Pricing will vary based on the number of travelers and there is a minimum number of travelers needed in order for the extension tour to run.
To register for the optional extension tour, please email your Traveler Services Specialist, Shannon Okuonghae, at [email protected] by February 1, 2019.
Book Now $3200 per person
Make A Deposit
To make a deposit and hold your spot on this trip, fill in your credit card details and billing address below. You will receive a receipt by email.
Tour Deposit: $300.00 per person
- 8 nights’ accommodation at the following hotels or similar (double occupancy): National Hotel (Jerusalem), Jacir Palace (Bethlehem), El Mirador (Ramallah), Cinema (Tel Aviv)
- 2 MEJDI-Trained Guides for 7 days
- 9 days of private bus transportation, including 1 group arrival and 1 departure airport transfers
- Meals listed in the itinerary: 8 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 7 dinners
- Water on the bus throughout the tour
- Entrances, sites, and honorariums for speakers
- Customary tips for drivers, guides, and hotel staff
- Dedicated pre-trip traveler services specialist and on-ground support
Trip Does Not Include
- International airfare
- Travel insurance-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
- Single Room Supplement Fee - $575
- Individual airport transfers outside of the group transfer time
- Meals not mentioned in the itinerary
- Anything not explicitly mentioned in the included section